Blueberry Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup
This a DELICIOUS, healthy, high carb, protein and calorie breakfast that your kids will BEG you to make again and again. We also serve with a side of fried or scrambled eggs. This is a great meal for long lasting energy. The syrup is so good you might not ever buy store bought syrup again. No need to add butter to top of pancakes because of the butter in the syrup.
Blueberry Pancakes serves 6
The cornmeal in these pancakes provides an awesome texture. For a healthier version use whole wheat flour and 5 whipped egg whites. If using frozen blueberries, thaw before adding to batter.
2 C flour
1/4 C cornmeal
2 T sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
3 C uttermilk
2 T oil
2 C fresh or frozen blueberries
1. In a bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Make well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
2. In another bowl stir together the egg, buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once. Stir until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Gently fold in blueberries.
3. Pour 1/4 C of batter onto a lightly greased griddle or heavy bottom skillet. Cook unto golden brown, turning to second side when pancakes are bubbly on surface and edges firm up. Serve with butter milk syrup.
Because of the chemical reaction between the vanilla and baking soda, the syrup expands and foams a lot. Be sure to use at least a 3 quart pan. For some variation, I will occasionally add 1/2 t maple extract.
• 1 1/2 cups white sugar
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 tablespoons corn syrup
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a large saucepan, stir together sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.
Get to know the Snowmamas who share the ins and outs of creating unforgettable moments.
Ask A Snowmama
Ask your question about family winter
travel and one of our
Snowmamas will answer.
Connect with Snowmamas
Related Snowmamas Posts
Add Your Own Comments
The views expressed on Snowmamas are those of the individual authors, who are independent contractors of Park City Mountain Resort, Copper Mountain Resort and Killiington Resort and may not be factually accurate. These views are not intended to reflect the opinions of Park City Mountain Resort, Copper Mountain Resort, Killington Resort, its owners, its management or its employees. Snowmamas' will receive compensation for their participation as an author.